[glue-wg] GridAustralia (previously know as the APACGrid) requirements for GLUE 2.0

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:44:49 CST 2007

Hi Sergio,

I've been pulled away to work on another project so I haven't been able to
actively look at the specifications you guys have been writing. Anyway, I've
got some free time now so I was able to look at what you guys have done with
the schema.

So my first question is, how you guys are planning to address the
requirements (http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/GridAustraliaRequirements
) we've given you in May 2007? I've looked at our requirements and only four
of them (stories 1, 2, 3, and 6 in the link above) have been addressed by
GLUE 2.0 spec (draft). All of these four requirements have already been
addressed by GLUE 1.3. So from what I see, there hasn't really been anything
new added to GLUE 2.0 in terms of the requirements we've asked you to add in
the new schema.

Isn't the GLUE 2.0 spec already going for public comments after the next
OGF? How are you planning to satisfy our requirements? GridAustralia will be
very happy to contribute some of its resources just so the current draft can
modified to satisfy our schema. I don't think our proposed schema is only
GridAustralia specific so what we add into the specification shouldn't be an
issue with anyone on this list.

I also just want to comment on story 6 of our requirements. We know that
you've satisfied that requirement by adding the ModuleName attribute to the
ApplicationEnvironment entity but some Grids (e.g. TeraGrid) don't use
modules and JP Navarro has suggested a more generic approach (and a better
way of representing this type of information) and that's by using HandleType
and HandleKey attributes. See below..

<ApplicationEnvironment>
  <ID>123</ID>
  <Name>apache-ant</Name>
  <Version>1.6.5</Version>
  <HandleType>softenv</HandleType> <!-- this can have a value of modules as
well -->
  <HandleKey>+apache-ant-1.6.5</HandleKey> <!-- when modules is the value of
type, the key will be apache-ant/1.6.5 -->
</ApplicationEnvironment>

We're happy that you've got ModuleName in there but since this is a schema
that will be used by a number of grid middleware/apps around the world, we
just want to do it properly and avoid tying this version of the spec to a
particular environment loading package implementation like "modules".

It may be that you might not want to implement stories 9, 10, and 11 because
you might think that it's just too hard to implement or you just think that
there won't be any users/applications going to query for that information.
If so, it would be good to get some feedback on the issues with our
requirements.

Story 13 is not related to software application so we want to know how you
are planning to address that in GLUE 2.0?

We also would like to hear your comments about the things we've listed under
the "Glue 1.3 issues/comments" section of the GridAustraliaRequirements.  I
know those are not only applicable to GLUE 1.3 because I don't see the
current draft of GLUE 2.0 addressing those issues yet.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Gerson