[glue-wg] Model Questions

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 15:31:11 CST 2007

Sergio Andreozzi wrote:
> Donal K. Fellows ha scritto:
>> 12) Do you plan to construct a dictionary of Application names? If not,
>> it's going to make finding Application Environment instances tricky in
>> practice. This will also need to tie in with JSDL, HPC Profile and ACS
>> groups. Maybe also OGSA Naming, though I believe they name something
>> else. If you do, it probably should be in a separate document. (I'd
>> suggest some sort of structured name so that you don't need to name
>> everything!) It's also a shame that CIM hasn't done anything in this
>> area that I can see...
>>
> probably not; we may go for open enumeration but no discussion yet.
> Maintaining a dictionary of application names could be difficult to
> achieve and probably not worth the game.

Have you been following the discussion on the HPCP list about this? I
think the conclusion they're reaching is that since CIM's modelled this,
GLUE ought to just leverage that (probably stating some explicit
equivalences on the correct attributes, whose names I forget right now).
An open enumeration is less useful, since I doubt that there's a really
useful minimum set anyway (your minimum set and mine probably have no
overlap...) An advantage of doing this is that there's a fair chance
that at least *some* commercial software vendors will already be
providing information according to the CIM schema, making writing an
information provider much simpler.

Linking to CIM like this is good politics too. :-)

Donal.