[gin-info] Re: FW: [gin-ops] Cross-grid monitoring issues summary

Jennifer M. Schopf jms at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 9 22:05:48 CDT 2006

Hello-

    I'm a bit confused - i thought the info service discussions for gin
were taking place on the gin-info list - which i've cc'ed?  The information
below contrasts with the discussions on that list!  Namely, it was decided
NOT to come up with a common schema, in stead to let sites use their own
and simply come up with a common set of attributes each site published in
whatever their local schema was and what we had to decide was what those
attributes actually were.

Any discussion of info services and GIN should be on the gin-info list as
announced at GGF in Athens - shouldn't they?

  -jennifer

At 22:40 09/05/2006, Somsak Sriprayoonsakul wrote:
>Dear All people involved with gin-monitoring activities,
>
>    As stated below. I promised to create a Wiki page describe our effort
> to create a neutral data format for Grid monitoring softwares. I tried to
> create the page and found that we still know so little about each other
> effort in this topic. So I want to start with a page describe what we
> already did, and what we planned in the near future, regardless of GIN project.
>
>    However, I'm not capable to do this alone. I would like to ask for
> help from all people involving this activity. Please help me contribute a
> brief of your work in the Wiki pages. I separated the activity in
> per-Grid project basis and listed every projects that my little knowledge
> may have, and belief that this'll not be all. Please fell free to
> add/remove/adjust the listing as you wish, just let us know if you want
> to remove some project :-) . For the time being, I'll try adding as many
> content as I can.
>
>    The Wiki page URL is
> http://wiki.pragma-grid.net/index.php?title=GIN_%28Grid_Inter-operation_Now%29_Monitoring.
>
>    This page will focus on the inter-operable data format between
> middleware & monitoring software. The summary of all activity regarding
> GIN-monitor is still at http://goc.pragma-grid.net/gin/gin-monitor.htm.
>
>   A new Wiki server at GGF will be set-up in the near future (see below).
> I'll inform you all again if we change the URL. For now, please follow
> normal procedure to register with PRAGMA Wiki (Sorry Cindy, more works on
> you again :-) . I'll try to keep the number of pages as small as possible
> so we won't have to migrate so many pages at that time ).
>
>    Thank you very much everyone. I do hope this will greatly benefit all
> of us.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Cindy Zheng wrote:
>>Cool! :-) Thanks, Somsak! Also, just let you and others know that all the
>>people listed in your summary have joined gin-ops list. In the future,
>>any new member participate in our work, just ask him/her to join this list.
>>Thanks again,
>>Cindy

Dr. Jennifer M. Schopf
Scientist                              eInfrastructure Policy Advisor
Distributed Systems Lab       National eScience Centre and JISC
Argonne National Laboratory  The University of Edinburgh
jms at mcs.anl.gov                 jms at nesc.ac.uk
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~jms http://homepages.nesc.ac.uk/~jms