[gin-info] Possible list of subset data for info interop

Jennifer M. Schopf jms at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 1 12:01:24 CST 2006

Thomas-

    we're NOT creating a schema. we're defining a set of attributes and
people will use whatever schema they've been using. We specifically said we
would NOT try to come up with a cross between current schemas for the
project at this.

Any structure implied in my original list should be ignored, as i said in
my followup message.

   -j

At 17:57 01/03/2006, Dr. Thomas Soddemann wrote:
>Jen,
>
>well, in order to get a consistent picture of we want as a kind of minimum
>requirements for a schema, I think it is by far more easy to use a
>structured visualization including dependencies of classes rather than
>gathering lists of attributes. You certainly agree, that unstructured
>information is almost worthless.
>Hence, as implementors we should try to advertise our minimum set of
>attributes in way which makes sense to everyone. IMHO, that is more than
>just gathering lists of attributes. And in your first e-mail message you
>have already started to structure your data, which I later tried to visualize.
>
>Cheers,
>Thomas
>
>Jennifer M. Schopf wrote:
>>Thomas-
>>
>>    i don't think we want to go down the path of UML here - i really
>> think we want to stay at the very high level of simply deifning a set of
>> attributes sites should communicate. UML implies structure and other
>> things that we do NOT want to get into with this group - we're going
>> tfor low hanging fruit, not making changes wherever we can.
>>
>>I would be much more comfortable coming up with a simple list of
>>attributes everyone could agree on - which is why i sent the list i did.
>>If you want to add things in, that's great. If you think something should
>>be removed, please make a case.
>>
>>I understand that formally, you're correct, UML is a great way to get
>>agreement here. And maybe we we cross the path of CIM and GLUE schema
>>agreement discussions we'll need this, but right now i'm not wearing a
>>GLUE schema hat, i'm wearing an implementers hat and i just want to know
>>what data each site should advertise in whatever way they can.
>>
>>   -jen

Dr. Jennifer M. Schopf
Scientist                              eInfrastructure Policy Advisor
Distributed Systems Lab       National eScience Centre and JISC
Argonne National Laboratory  The University of Edinburgh
jms at mcs.anl.gov                 jms at nesc.ac.uk
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~jms http://homepages.nesc.ac.uk/~jms