[gin-data] progress...

Arie Shoshani shoshani at lbl.gov
Tue Jul 25 13:58:27 CDT 2006

Dave,

SRMs maintain metadata information about Files and spaces (acquired
through space reservation functions).  The metadata includes information
about file properties (creation time, etc.), the directories they are
organized into, and the spaces they were assigned to.  All this
information is made available through metadata functions: specifically
srmLs, and srmGetSpaceMetadata.

It is an easy exercise to describe this information using some schema
mechanism,
like relational schemas or XML DTD.  There was an early attempt to do
that with the
GLUE schema, but eventually it was too much detail (for millions of
files) to keep
such as schema instances updated, so this idea was abandoned.

Arie and Alex