[fi-rg] Comments to our latest document

Gian Luca Volpato volpato at rrzn.uni-hannover.de
Thu Sep 11 04:54:43 CDT 2008

Dear All,

I have spent some time reading and reviewing our latest document
"Requirements on operating Grids in Firewalled Environments". My
opinion is that the outcome is very good and will represent a solid
ground for the work to be done in the newly created FVGA group.

Just some small remarks, mainly editorial issues that I prefer to
discuss in our group rather than writing them in the OGF web form:

- page 1: the numbers of the chapters is wrong. It goes from 1 to 4
and then starts from 2 again.

- page 2, section 1: why should the last paragraph ("Some application
use ..." ) not be considered as a 4th category of grid applications,
i.e. the category of the applications which use obscured dynamic ports?

- page 4, section 2.1: here we reference a paper from the D-Grid
project that is written in German. The paper itself is a good
information source, but is it OK to provide reference written in a
language other than English?

- page 10, section 2.7: the paragraph after Figure 5 says that
incoming SOAP messages are decrypted before entering the gateway
system. Which component performs the decryption? How can this
component access the key used for the message encryption?

- page 11, section 2.7: is it possible to reformulate the 3 bullet
points at the beginning of the page? The sentences within parentheses
look like comments from the author. The message to be conveyed is
clear, but it is expressed in a very short form.

- page 15 and 16, Glossary: we provide explanations for 3 terms that
are never used in the document: DWDM, GPFS and IPSec. Shouldn't we
remove them?

Kind regards
/Gian Luca