[fi-rg] Input for GGF-14

Leon Gommans lgommans at science.uva.nl
Fri Jun 3 02:40:58 CDT 2005

GGF-14 is approaching fast. It took us some time and
further discussions to get the charter approved by the GFSG
however everything is now arranged. The mailing list and
gridforge (https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/fi-rg) has now
been setup for the group. We still need to be listed on
the index pages on the GGF web, however this is being
looked at.

If you like to contribute to our group, please send Inder Monga
(imonga at nortel.com) a memo so he can add you to our project.

Before GGF-14 I like to have some structure on the first chartered
document.  This document should address the type of issues the grid
experiences with several types of firewall-style devices.

A possible structure of the document could be:

Name: Firewall Issues list and classification.

1. Introduction.
2. Definitions.
Definition of terms used in the document.
3. Devices.
Listing and describing the functionalities of various firewall-style
devices to be considered.
4. Issues.
Listing and describing the types of issues with examples grid applications
see with using devices listed in chapter 3. This chapter may do this
arranged by
example. A structure will be analysed in chapter 5.
5. Classification.
A classification and analsyses of the issues described.
6. Conclusions.

Please feel free to comment on the name of the document and above structure.

If you consider the charter, subsequent documents will analyse various
standards and
mechanisms, define shortcommings and maybe solutions. First we look at
IETF protocols
and architectures. Another document will consider the other mechanisms.

Please consider sending me a few lines on the issues you think a important
to be covered in this document.  Consider this as input to chapters 3 and 4.
Together with the input presented at the last GGF we should try to put
some already meat on this document before GGF14.

Kind regards .. Leon Gommans.