[et-cg] Draft Recommendation

Ruediger Berlich ruediger.berlich at iwr.fzk.de
Thu Apr 26 10:46:53 CDT 2007

Dear Donal,

the focus of the proposal is not so much on the courses and their content but
on the examination (i.e. "what does a professional Grid technician need to
know and how do we test it ?"). At least in the commercial sector, in order
to achieve a credible certification, it should not be the training providers
that do the testing (after all they are under pressure by their paying
customers).

VUE test centers do the testing for LPI courses for a comparatively small fee.
This is a model I believe would work for a CGE or CGT as well.

If academic courses teach 80% of the skills needed for the Certified Grid
Technician (and then something else), I do not see why students wouldn't be
able to get themselves tested in a test centre.

Of course the OGF discussions about the CGT/CGE need to take into account the
needs of academic institutions (this also depends on their willingness to
send delegates and participate in the discussion, though).

It is a different question whether or not they should be able to award a CGT
or CGE for the courses they teach themselves. This needs to be discussed in
the group, I believe.

Best Regards,
Ruediger

--
Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Ruediger Berlich

Dr. Ruediger Berlich               | E-mail: ruediger.berlich at iwr.fzk.de
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe        | Web: http://ruediger.berlich.com
Institute for Scientific Computing | Phone:  +49 (0)7247 825678
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1      | Fax:    +49 (0)7247 824972
D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen   | Mobile: +49 (0)178 5567842