[dvdvol] automated work flow system

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed Oct 20 23:49:02 PDT 2004

I've got about 75% of the work flow system up and operational.  I now just
need to code the final 25% and squash the few bugs that I'm sure still
exist.  Enough of the system is, however, in place to enable people to
start poking around and telling me what doesn't work and what needs to be
changed.

If you'd like to help test the system or plan on starting/continuing to
mail out discs for us, then you'll need a login and password.  To set one
up, please E-mail me off list and tell me what password you'd like to
use.  I'll also need your name, if it's not obvious from your
message.  Your login will not change when the real system comes online, so
you only have to set it up once.

I probably don't need to tell you, but just in case...  The system is not
secure, so it's probably not a good idea to use your Paypal password.

Currently the system will allow you to view the queue, check out requests,
check them in as completed, not completable, return them to queue for
someone else to complete, ETC.  You can also filter the results based on
the type of request (CD or DVD) and filter out requests that aren't from
specific countries.

The longest part of building the system (as with most systems) was getting
the foundation worked out and in place.  Now that that is done, new
features can come more quickly.  The other 25% that I will be putting in
place over the next two days or so include things like allowing you to
download your checked out requests in a spreadsheet format, add comments to
problematic requests, automatic E-mailing of recipients when their requests
are checked in as complete, and anything else you all happen to come up
with.  I also plan on adding statistics.  It's not a high priority, but I
do, like many other people, enjoy stats. :)

Don't worry about playing hard on the system.  It's only connected to a
test database so if you break it, no harm done.  Also, don't actually
fulfill any of the requests you may see on the system.  Like I said, it's
just a test and we won't be keeping track.

I realize the web design won't be winning any awards, but as long as it's
functional, I'm happy.  However, if you do have any simple html suggestions
which would help things to look a little nicer, please don't hesitate to
pass them along.  However, please be specific as to exactly how something
should be changed, including the html code.  Sorry.  It's just that html
has never been my thing.

Sincerely
Aaron Cannon

E-mail: cannona at fireantproductions.com