[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA Java binding implementations : are there license constraints?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Jun 27 19:33:54 EDT 2016

Hi Erwin, DRMAA-WG,

the discussion if APIs are copyrightable or not has, I presume,
serious implications for the work of most of us.  Specifically in the
context of APIs specified in the OGF context, I would suggest to
follow the no-copyright stance.  Mind, that holds for the API
*specification*, not the code which *implements* the specified
semantics!  But if I understand your inquiry correctly, this is what
you are asking about, and the implementation will be new code from you
and/or your project, right?

My $0.02, Andre.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM, erwindl0 <erwindl0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear DRMAA community,
>
> In the past I have bundled the DRMAA v1 Java binding API and the
> implementation for SGE as OSGi bundles, in the context of a pilot for the
> DAWN project (http://www.dawnsci.org/). ( For those interested, you can find
> the sources at https://github.com/DawnScience/dawn-hpc )
>
> I would now like to migrate that work (+ a SLURM Java implementation we're
> finalizing) in an official eclipse project, Triquetrum
> (https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.triquetrum). In the future
> my goal would be to do the same for the DRMAA v2.
>
> As you probably know, Eclipse has rather strict open-source licensing and IP
> rules.
>
> The API implementation I used before came with Son of Grid Engine, and still
> has the SISSL license headers, for which I am certain they will not be
> accepted by the Eclipse Foundation. I noticed that e.g. Gridway has its own
> org.ggf.drmaa sources with their own copyright and an Apache license.
>
> I couldn't find any concrete info/requirements about licensing of the DRMAA
> Java APIs in your documents or on your site.
>
> Do you have specific rules? Or can I just write&provide the API code myself
> and deliver that with an EPL license?
>
> many thanks for the standardization work,
>
> Erwin De Ley
> (Triquetrum project co-lead)

99 little bugs in the code.
99 little bugs in the code.