[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA Java binding implementations : are there license constraints?

erwindl0 erwindl0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:38:33 EDT 2016

Dear DRMAA community,

In the past I have bundled the DRMAA v1 Java binding API and the
implementation for SGE as OSGi bundles, in the context of a pilot for
the DAWN project (http://www.dawnsci.org/). ( For those interested, you
can find the sources at https://github.com/DawnScience/dawn-hpc )

I would now like to migrate that work (+ a SLURM Java implementation
we're finalizing) in an official eclipse project, Triquetrum
(https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.triquetrum). In the
future my goal would be to do the same for the DRMAA v2.

As you probably know, Eclipse has rather strict open-source licensing
and IP rules.

The API implementation I used before came with Son of Grid Engine, and
still has the SISSL license headers, for which I am certain they will
not be accepted by the Eclipse Foundation. I noticed that e.g. Gridway
has its own org.ggf.drmaa sources with their own copyright and an Apache
license.

I couldn't find any concrete info/requirements about licensing of the
DRMAA Java APIs in your documents or on your site.

Do you have specific rules? Or can I just write&provide the API code
myself and deliver that with an EPL license?

many thanks for the standardization work,

Erwin De Ley
(Triquetrum project co-lead)