[drmaa-wg] corrections to api specification

Greg Hewgill ghewgill at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 11:10:40 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:20:37 +0100 (MET), Andreas Haas
<andreas.haas at sun.com> wrote:
>    "The DRMAA library shall be delivered in a way allowing for
>     run time linking."
>
> would this be specific and clear enough? Problem is that concepts
> common in Unix world such as shared/dynamic linking have no meaning
> in Windows world.

Actually the concepts of (1) static linking (.a), (2) shared library
linking (.so), and (3) runtime dynamic loading (dlopen()) all exist in
the Windows world except they have slightly different names. I think
the above quote is general enough that it should be ok. There are de
facto standard ways to create easily linkable DLLs in Windows, perhaps
it might be useful to describe some of the details. That and a
reference implementation and a test suite should do the trick.

Greg Hewgill