[drmaa-wg] corrections to api specification

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 19 07:20:37 CST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Greg Hewgill wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:49:38 -0800, Rajic, Hrabri
> <hrabri.rajic at intel.com> wrote:
> > Andreas Haas, the SGE lead was looking for an active person to
> > collaborate on the "C Bindings DRMAA 1.0 Specification" document, so
> > your entry is very timely.   Would you like to engage in such a process?
>
> Sure, I'd be happy to help. I also plan to implement the Java language bindings.

Welcome Greg!

looking forward to work with you on finalizing C DRMAA spec. DRMAA
WG got this on the roadmap until GGF13. This means we need to resolve
remaining C binding issues ... ASAP. Please use

   http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/drmaa-wg
   http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/drmaa-wg/tracker/

to get an overview on these issues ("Doc Change Request"). Through
"Category" you can easily filter out C binding issues.

Current top issue is #1141. Actually this is merely a problem with
formulating, but it's important because real interoperability
won't be achieved without that capability. How about

   "The DRMAA library shall be delivered in a way allowing for
    run time linking."

would this be specific and clear enough? Problem is that concepts
common in Unix world such as shared/dynamic linking have no meaning
in Windows world.

> > Could you tell us what is the DRM system in question?  BTW, few people
> > have asked for a PBS DRMAA implementation in the past.
>
> This is for the United Devices Grid MP product.

Good!

> I also think that a
> reference stub implementation, that has no dependency on any actual
> grid system and just runs everything locally, would be useful for
> prototyping.

Sureley, why not?

Cheers,
Andreas