[drmaa-wg] corrections to api specification

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 22 11:44:53 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Greg Hewgill wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:20:37 +0100 (MET), Andreas Haas
> <andreas.haas at sun.com> wrote:
> >    "The DRMAA library shall be delivered in a way allowing for
> >     run time linking."
> >
> > would this be specific and clear enough? Problem is that concepts
> > common in Unix world such as shared/dynamic linking have no meaning
> > in Windows world.
>
> Actually the concepts of (1) static linking (.a), (2) shared library
> linking (.so), and (3) runtime dynamic loading (dlopen()) all exist in
> the Windows world except they have slightly different names. I think
> the above quote is general enough that it should be ok.

Good.

> There are de
> facto standard ways to create easily linkable DLLs in Windows, perhaps
> it might be useful to describe some of the details. That and a
> reference implementation and a test suite should do the trick.

I agree reference implementation/test suite is best. I believe test
suite thing is easier to achieve. E.g. for the run-time linking
capability the "example.c" from C language specification document
as a binary would suffice. A set of binaries (one for each OS arch)
could become the fundament for a full blown test suite kept at
www.drmaa.org.

Andreas