[dmis-bof] Comments on the charter?

Allen Luniewski luniew at almaden.ibm.com
Wed Oct 26 13:53:18 CDT 2005

Bill,

If I had realized that the document was this short, I would have opened it
earlier!

I think that the prose strikes the right balance between trying to be
general (which is something that is important with my OGSA-D hat on) and
being pragmatic.  I would be very unhappy if the first version of the spec
came out with a strong file orientation as that does not really help
OGSA-D meet its goals in data transfer.  So, I have no problems with the
charter statement but I do intend to be a nag about the generality aspects
of this as the spec comes into being.

The timeline is, to say the least, aggressive!  Not much room for
something going awry...  A few comments on the timeline.
        1. GGF-18.  I suspect that if we manage to get extensibility into
the spec, this interop is likely to be file only on this
                schedule.  Not a problem, just an observation.
        2. GGF-19.  I suspect that this is the first time we will have a
chance to see non-file interop happening.
        3. GGF-20.  I do not know the GGF rules on what constitutes a
valid interop.  How much of the spec must be
                tested?  The concern here is the potential mismatch
between the current file transfer facilities that
                exist and potential extensibility aspects of the spec.
These issues could make this schedule
                hard to meet.

Allen

"William E. Allcock" <allcock at mcs.anl.gov>
Sent by: owner-dmis-bof at ggf.org
10/25/2005 07:55 AM
Please respond to
allcock

<dmis-bof at ggf.org>
cc

Subject
[dmis-bof] Comments on the charter?

I haven't received any comments on the charter.  I would love to believe
that is because you are all waiting to have your computers repaired after
weeping uncontrollably on your keyboards due to the beauty of the prose...
unfortunately, it is more likely that you have not taken time out of your
insanely hectic schedule to review it :-).

Please do so.  It wont take long.  I opted for very little prose and then
timeline.  If people could comment on if they think the text is
sufficient,
and more importantly on whether the timeline is reasonable and has the
right
things in it, that would be wonderful.

Please remember, this can only be a success if we have participation from
variety of groups.  Particularly for this one since we have competing
existing implementations, and we will need to get some momentum behind
this
to get people to change and conform.  They have to believe it provides
some
advantage to do so...

So, now! quick! before another email distracts you! read it! send me
comments! I attached it again to this email to make it *REALLY* easy!

:-)

I had the above as "shouting", but then wondered how many spam filters
would
tag it as spam...

Bill

William E. Allcock