[DFDL-WG] pre-proposal for new experimental feature: User-definedFunctions (UDF)

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 20:08:34 EST 2020

Well the intention is that people should use their own namespaces so as to
prevent name conflicts, but we could enforce that by reject any use of dfdl
or xpath functions namespaces.  I'm disinclined to do that because we
probably will propose dfdlx extension features and use this mechanism to
implement as well as future dfdl official functions. Also, there could be
functions added to XPath and we'd want to implement them with this perhaps.

For example I've been wanting functions that convert integers to characters
and back. We don't have a way to do that but clearly that sort of thing
comes up in DFDL.

At minimum we should state that the dfdl, dfdlx,  and xpath functions
namespaces are reserved.