[DFDL-WG] pre-proposal for new experimental feature: User-definedFunctions (UDF)

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Jan 10 04:00:20 EST 2020

Mike, can't you use the xs: constructor functions to convert integers to
strings and back?

We should also state that the schema (xs) namespace is reserved.

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890
Note: I work Tuesday to Friday

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Bradd Kadlecik <braddk at us.ibm.com>
Cc:     DFDL-WG <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   10/01/2020 01:09
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [DFDL-WG] pre-proposal for new experimental
feature: User-definedFunctions (UDF)
Sent by:        "dfdl-wg" <dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org>

Well the intention is that people should use their own namespaces so as to
prevent name conflicts, but we could enforce that by reject any use of
dfdl or xpath functions namespaces.  I'm disinclined to do that because we
probably will propose dfdlx extension features and use this mechanism to
implement as well as future dfdl official functions. Also, there could be
functions added to XPath and we'd want to implement them with this
perhaps.

For example I've been wanting functions that convert integers to
characters and back. We don't have a way to do that but clearly that sort
of thing comes up in DFDL.

At minimum we should state that the dfdl, dfdlx,  and xpath functions
namespaces are reserved.