[DFDL-WG] basic question

Steve Lawrence slawrence at tresys.com
Mon Mar 3 22:32:11 EST 2014

On 03/03/2014 08:41 PM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> Hi. I've been following the DFDL proceedings for some time now, as an
> outside amateur with keen interest in data representation and description.
>
> Tell me, is there a FOSS parser out there capable of handling anything
> and everything that the standard includes? Something that an amateur
> like me might actually download and utilize against a chosen legacy
> format of my choice? Perhaps even as a test case of the descriptive
> power of the vocabulary?

Daffodil [1] is the only FOSS DFDL parser. It isn't capable of handling
anything and everything in the standard, but it is capable of parsing
some non-trivial file types, and is undergoing active development. The
latest release is 0.12.0 [2], which includes a command line interface
and CSV and PCAP DFDL examples. If you have any questions in particular
about Daffodil, I'm happy to answer them. We also have a developers
mailing list [3] and a users mailing list [4] if you are interested in
tracking Daffodil's progress.

- Steve

[1]
https://opensource.ncsa.illinois.edu/confluence/display/DFDL/Daffodil%3A+Open+Source+DFDL