[DFDL-WG] Introduction and Participation

Dave Glick dglick at dracorp.com
Thu Jan 29 13:03:31 CST 2009

Hi,

I would like to briefly introduce myself. I am currently leading a SBIR
project for the US Navy (SBIR is a program designed to grow small
businesses and emphasizes innovative research and application). A large
part of what I'm working on involves the conversion of arbitrary binary
data to XML for processing and back again. After evaluating several
alternatives, I have come to believe that DFDL is pretty close to
perfect for what we need. As there are no commercially available DFDL
parsers available, part of my project will be to create such a parser
(at least for the subset of the standard relevant to my effort -
hopefully building to a complete implementation at some point). To that
end, I will be approaching the standard from the perspective of an
implementation developer and hope to be able to participate in the
working group in whatever ways are useful. The level of my involvement
depends on funding (relatively small right now), but I should know
within a short timeframe (2 months or so) whether I will be funded for
the next several years at a much higher level.

In any case, I am already generating questions and comments for the most
recently published draft (033). Would it be valuable for me to send them
to someone? How else can I be of assistance and participate now and in
the future?

Thanks,

Dave

---