[DFDL-WG] DFDL: Minutes from OGF WG call, 05 Octobet 2008

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Nov 7 09:01:33 CST 2008

Hi Suman

You and me discussed your simpler rule for applying selectors, on the DFDL
OGF WG call of 22nd October. I was ok at the time with it, but while
writing up the minutes I became concerned that it forces you to add a new
DFDL annotation to all objects in the schema, and to any objects in
included/imported schemas, when a new selector is added. Hence my example
in the minutes. Alan, Mike and me discussed selectors on the 5th Nov call
and agreed that having to apply annotations on all objects was too
cumbersome, especially for the include/import scenario. Hence we prefer
the selector proposal as originally outlined.

I don't think inheritance of annotations is an issue. Firstly the selector
property itself is never inherited.  Secondly, selectors are processed
before inheritance - any annotations with explicit selectors that do not
match the provided selector are stripped out of the schema - then the
scoping rules are applied. And thirdly, scoping is simpler anyway these
days, as it is only complex & simple types that can scope DFDL properties.

Programming Model Architect
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Suman Kalia <kalia at ca.ibm.com>
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
cc
dfdl-wg at ogf.org, dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org
Subject
Re: [DFDL-WG] DFDL: Minutes from OGF WG call, 05 Octobet 2008

>> 2. Selectors

>> Discussed Suman's suggestion from last weeks call.
>> - If a selector is supplied, then only dfdl:format blocks matching that
selector are used
>> - If a selector is not supplied, then only dfdl:format blocks without a
selector are used

>> Decided this is too restrictive as it requires a format block for each
selector on every item even if they define the same properties so stayed
with previous decision

>> - If selector is supplied and matches one of the dfdl:format blocks
then that block is used.
>> - Otherwise the dfdl:format block with no selector is used.

>> Reiterated that selectors are qnames.

 Alan - I think it will add more complexity and it will be difficult for
the user to comprehend the exact set of annotations that would be
applicable on the element.  This becomes more complicated when you take
inheritance of annotations into account.  Say grandparent A has annotation
with selector xyz , parent  B & its child C has annotation with no
selector.  When processing for selector xyz,  which annotations will be
applicable for child C - will it inherit annotations from grandparent A
(which has same selector) or  parent B (which has annotation with no
selector specified) ?.   What if grand child C had no dfdl annotation
specified ?

Suman Kalia
IBM Toronto Lab
WMB Toolkit Architect and Development Lead
WebSphere Business Integration Application Connectivity Tools
Tel : 905-413-3923  T/L  969-3923
Fax : 905-413-4850 T/L  969-4850
Internet ID : kalia at ca.ibm.com