[DFDL-WG] XML Schema 1.1 implications for DFDL

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:16:45 CST 2008

I've given the XML Schema 1.1 changes a quick review and created the
attached document.

More work is required. There are a few features in here which we need to
really understand not because they mess us up, but because they have the
potential to greatly simplify our lives.

In particular, they have paths in XSD 1.1, and therefore an expression
language semantics, a notion of what it means for a path in one place of a
schema to refer to a data element defined by another part of the schema.
They have an XSD based infoset that is used to explain this. Hopefully we
can leverage all this work, and therefore eliminate description of how this
stuff works that is specific to DFDL.

There is also conditional type alternatives for elements, and this
potentially has impact on selectors - i.e., we may not need them. But it
requires a careful look.

...mike
 <mailto:dfdl-wg at ogf.org>