[dfdl-wg] domain name - dataformat.org

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Mon Jan 31 07:51:57 CST 2005

I was checking into domains, as we've been writing things like dfdl.org into
example code and slideware.

dfdl.org is owned by some french or swiss foundation.. As a result
dfdl.com/.net are owned by some web-name extorter. (For any .org name you'll
find highly likely that the .com and .net of the same name are reserved by
some company which will charge to sell it to you.)

dataformat.com/.net is owned and in use by a company based in florida.
However, amazingly dataformat.org is available,  so I've asked Ascential to
park this domain. That is, reserve it, to avoid anyone else grabbing it out
from under us. When the right time comes we'll transfer this domain to
whomever the right organization is.

So if you are noodling around in xml e.g., creating things like

   <appinfo source="...">

lines, you can put http://dataformat.org <http://dataformat.org>  in as the
source; however, don't put dfdl.org in there, since that's a known and used
domain name, and we want to stay out of brand/name/controversy.