[dfdl-wg] DFDL subset of XML schema

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 13 08:59:00 CDT 2005

Mike, looking at your proposal working draft, I don't agree with the DFDL
subset you are proposing. I think it is too restrictive. Specifically:

1) xsd:all - we have discussed this as part of the unordered mail exchange
last week so I think we now agree this is needed.

2) Single top-level global element, global attributes, element references,
attribute references. This prevents re-use.

3) Reusable groups. Ditto.

4) Simple type hexBinary. This is the MRM model's default mapping for
binary data.

5) Other simple types. Some of these could be discussed - eg, the date
restrictions.

6) Substitution groups. We basically treat these a choice in non-XML data.
But I would be ok with deferring support post 1.0.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Business Integration Brokers,
IBM Hursley, England