[dais-wg] A simple Data Access service

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 19 08:40:46 CDT 2005

Savas:

You're exaggerating again, so I can't resist commenting.

Nothing is being forced on people. The observation that motivates WSRF is
that there are a small set of behaviors that occur very frequently (as you
seem to admit in your examples), that if codified can be described once
rather than again and again.

Of course this stuff isn't complicated: e.g., you can define messages to
establish and extend lifetimes as well as anyone else. But why not use
those defined in WS-ResourceLifetime, so you can just tell people that
those are the messages and behaviors you are using, rather than having to
explain how you've made up your own names for those, that are sort of the
same as WS-ResourceLifetime, but different?

Ian.

At 01:09 PM 4/19/2005 +0100, Savas Parastatidis wrote:
>I am surprised that the soft-state management supporters make such a big
>deal of such functionality to a point where an entire layer for all Web
>Services is introduced and forced on everyone.

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org