[dais-wg] A simple Data Access service

Savas Parastatidis Savas.Parastatidis at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:05:24 CDT 2005

Dear Ian,

> You're exaggerating again, so I can't resist commenting.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying things but I am trying to make a point :-)

> Nothing is being forced on people. The observation that motivates WSRF
is
> that there are a small set of behaviors that occur very frequently (as
you
> seem to admit in your examples), that if codified can be described
once
> rather than again and again.

If there was global agreement on these behaviours and there were widely
accepted standards to capture them, I wouldn't have a problem. However,
it seems that not everyone is behind the current set of specifications
which capture these kinds of behaviours. As a result, we are left with a
choice of either going with only those specs on which everyone agrees or
ignore those who voice their concerns over the suggested approach of
layering a resource-oriented set of behaviours underneath specifications
like DAIS.

If we all agree that such behaviours are simple to incorporate and
implement, let's do them in a way that is accepted to everyone now (with
stable implementations of tooling available) and move to specifications
which capture the common behaviours when everyone is behind them.

That's the point I am trying to make with these portTypes.

<snip />

Best regards,
.savas.