Cryptocurrency: USPS

other.arkitech other.arkitech at protonmail.com
Sun May 10 23:35:48 PDT 2020

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, May 11, 2020 4:40 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > arkitech:
> > The fact that you know the IP of the
> > nodes does not reveal anything else about the node behind
>
> Is the network traffic any way identifiable as being USPS traffic,
> some nice patterns and deep inspection signs, port number,
> the list of all other nodes it is connecting to...
> in some countries running that node is enough to
> get users jailed or killed, internet connection shut off,
> questions asked, etc.

First I have too state that I have not implemented anything related to the anonymization layer that is under the responsibility to the Tor project (or others) or the potential new one I could implement in the future to complete the project (The anonymization layer).

Today's implementation of USPS is the cryptoplatform providing pseudoanonymity.

The layer of anonymity that can be implemented with the same nodes that run the cryptocurrency can be used as anonymization layer. In this network the traffic as is today could be wrapped into a pattern of traffic that hides the real pattern.

All these concerns belong to the onion layer and will be tackled at the right time in the USPS project.

> > not who is the
> > source of information on any transaction, not the recipient, not the
> > message.
> > The only think that reveal that there is a node behind exchanging encrypted
> > traffic with other nodes.
>
> Which node decrypts that info packets?
> Does that node know what IP that came from?
>
> When user A clicks mouse send money to B, can NSA
> or ISP or Sybil nodes trace that impulse back through
> the network?
> What other application and chaff traffic is going through
> the net to hide it?
>
> Are the transaction addresses and amounts encrypted?
> No timestamps too.
>
> Can big numbers of Sybil nodes opensource hack the
> system to defeat such things, to trace coin network back.
>
> Remember, IPv4 and rooms full of Pi's are totally free resource
> for govt, corp and soldier groups. And govts definitely do not
> like monetary freedom, unless the freedom gets to the
> politician pocket first.

I am not afraid of IP4, the resource is already scarce and their cost provides a good measure against attackers that are not The Man.
I am not scares about Govs too, since they haven't moved a finger yet against bitcoin, even though they can. By the time USPS reach the volume of Bitcoin it would have much many more nodes spreaded across all the IPv4 pools, which means that the algorithm can be improved to pick only votes from a unbiased distribution of IP4 across pools. If a powerful Gov decides to use a big pool of IP4 to attack the network, and the IP4 pools are spread across the worls, the voters will be evenly distributed across the world, it will be very hard for a single Gov to shut it down. It would have to collude with other Big govs, increasing the difficulty for them. They would need to collude up to the point to make 51% of the surface of the Earth to agree on that.

That's not gonna happen.

> But users are not permitted to use i2p, onion, etc to help defend?
>
> Even non privacy coin Bitcoin-BTC can use overlay networks.
>
> Even BTC protocol over wire is still not encrypted with modern crypto, lol.

The public protocol do not need to be encrypted neither in Bitcoin not  in USPS. USPS is running encrypted today though. The fact that Tx or consensus protocol goes in clear doesn't affect the pseudaanonymity nor the privacy.

cheers