ping

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Thu Jun 18 15:20:50 PDT 2020

On 06/18/2020 02:29 PM, Se7en wrote:
> On 20-06-18 14:23:02, Mirimir wrote:
>> Thanks. I wasn't paying attention, but I did notice the warning about my
>> list membership being disabled:
>>
>>> Your membership in the mailing list cypherpunks has been disabled due
>>> to excessive bounces
>>
>> I'm not sure whether that was a cypherpunks server issue, or a Riseup
>> issue, which was perhaps triggered by a cypherpunks server issue.
>
> The list admin published a few days ago that the list was experiencing
> trouble and has been rectified. You must not have recieved that
> message. Check the public archive.

Looking in the public archive, the first hint of a problem was Georgi
Guninski's "pong" and Greg Newby's reply at Jun 15 05:25:59 PDT 2020:

https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081025.html
https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081026.html

Then there's the message from Greg at Jun 16 19:39:50 PDT 2020, saying
that the "the list was bouncing all day today (after around 9am US
Eastern Daylight Time)" and that "[t]hings now seem to be fixed":

https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081030.html

But GTI.H and Georgi Guninski both reported on Jun 17 that they still
weren't getting list messages to Gmail accounts:

https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081042.html
https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081043.html

I got the last message before today at Jun 14 14:38:29 PDT 2020:

https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2020-June/081016.html

I got the membership disabled message at 18 Jun 2020 00:15:00 -0700, and
it said:

> Your membership in the mailing list cypherpunks has been disabled due
to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
18-Jun-2020.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 2 more reminders like
this before your membership in the list is deleted.

That is, messages to me were bouncing from late Jun 14 through Jun 17.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I'm just curious whether bouncing started
earlier, perhaps on Jun 14, and why Google and Riseup kept bouncing
messages after Greg fixed the cypherpunks server.