Your Cypherpunks archive

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 20:19:25 PDT 2019

 On Friday, November 1, 2019, 07:21:35 PM PDT, Razer <g2s at riseup.net> wrote:

On November 1, 2019 3:24:26 PM PDT, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I think you totally misunderstand my point...or you are intentionally
>'misunderstanding' it.
>See my recent comment.  It's all still 'there', somewhere, it just
>isn't easily acquirable.  I never claimed it should be easily
>acquirable, in all cases.  At least not data from the 1995 time
>frame.
>But, the fact that some of it seems to be lost, NOW, does not mean that
>fraud didn't occur, in the past,  YOU want to use the excuse that
>"eventually, some things will be lost" to confuse us into not looking
>for evidence of that fraud, in the past.
>You are obviously one of those people who is resisting the idea of
>uncovering this seemingly-lost data.
>What's the old saying, "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up!"
>https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2019-09-26/your-lawless-president-mafia-don
>     and probably hundreds more google-search references.
>
>              Jim Bell

>Have you ever considered the server was destroyed, stolen and turned into components for black market sale all data wiped or a thousand other possibilities?
We notice that you said, "THE server".  As if there was only one server.  And it had only one hard drive.  Ever.  And that server's data was NEVER backed up.  Ever.  So how do you know all this detailed information?
And, have YOU ever considered that the hard drives or floppies of dozens or hundreds of individual CP subscribers, who received and perhaps archived these messages themselves may still have the data available somewhere, perhaps on a dusty 500 megabyte Seagate drive, sitting comfortably in their basement?   Or some old data cartridges?  Or some old writable CD's?
"It's not the crime, it's the coverup!"
We all learned in the October 2016 scandal involving Hitlery Clinton's emails, that they went from "missing" to discovering that Anthony Weiner's laptop contained 600,000 emails of varying kinds, and that the FBI "sat on" them for about a month, until just about a couple of weeks before the November 2016 election.   When, according to the news, they suddenly "discovered" those emails.  And in an extraordinary effort a few days long, they carefully studied each and every email and solidly established that none of them were ever, ever, ever evidence of any crime whatsoever.

>Or is that too simple?

Is what I described "too simple", too?

>Maybe it was used IN an assassination by being dropped from a 6th floor window on a cheating lover?

>MAYBE the server's owner murdered their Ex by doing the above?

>But I jest (snigger, or perhaps not...)

>I'm not following why you believe the data is actually still existent.

I think I actually described the possibilities quite well.  I also pointed out that the real difficulty, as you imply, is actually finding the data in hundreds of houses, most of whose owners haven't a clue that what they unknowingly possess is "interesting".  If what we really wanted was the data itself.  But we don't, at least not for purposes of generating a good archive of CP for historical reasons.
But no!  I FURTHER have to point out that the real issue here isn't the actual data, but really just the metadata:  I myself started to become interested to acquire the date of the arrival of news of AP on the Cypherpunks list.  Yet, in my search, I discovered that the supposed archive has what amounts to a huge 'hole'.  Is it an "innocent hole" or a "guilty hole"?
And the REAL problem is the fact that SOMEBODY has managed to deliberately conceal many months of CP records.  Actually, a mysteriously-selected subset of them, involving essentially all references to "Jim Bell" or "assassination politics" over at least a 7 month time frame.   While it is possible that the loss is far greater than this, this is simply what I knew enough to look for a couple of days ago.  It would be very interesting to consider how many CP subscribers don't consider this an interesting or worthwhile subject!
Has anyone else on CP bothered to go and look at the alleged "archive", and determine if there are any other classes of 'missing' data?  Go see!!!
At the very least, your (Razer) odd reaction to this logical conundrum should be considered extremely embarrasing to you.  Why are you on the CP today?  Are you really interested in the subject, or are you merely trying to harass people?  I'll give you three guesses.

Jim Bell

Rr
Sent from my Androgyne dee-vice with K-9 Mail