CP Sighting: Vista security spec 'longest suicide note in history'

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Thu Dec 28 13:54:07 PST 2006

Tyler Durden wrote:

> The PC as we know it will evaporate, and in its place will come a
> variety of different devices, running a variety of OSs. In fact, 5 years
> from now most computer-owners won't even know what OS their machine is
> running, or at best if you ask them they'll answer: "Uh, I think it's
> Firefox."

The circle is complete.  We started with 3270 terminals doing
page-update transactions with central servers, and that's where we're
headed.  OK, the graphics are better than a 3270 now.

> The leaves an interesting question: Does a networked computer even NEED
> an OS? With a nice big, fat pipe it might suffice for it to have the
> BIOS & Firmware, and then boot a TCP/IP stack to go get the OS.

What OS? Think X terminals, with HTTP substituting for the X protocol.
It's an ideal consumer medium, too.  All that's available is what the
servers offer, with no chance for local wizard-wannabees to install
software that doesn't follow the rules.  Hmm... sounds like a set-top
box, doesn't it?
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT