CP Sighting: Vista security spec 'longest suicide note in history'

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 12:50:12 PST 2006

Yes, perhaps it was inevitable anyway. Consider the fact that the browser is
set to swallow the PC Google-style anyway, maybe the PC will be relegated to
a souped-up entertainment device. Waitaminute: It already is, in the form of
the X-Box. Maybe that's also why Gates backed out when he did: He knows the
era of the PC as we knew it is drawing to a close...Microsoft will become a
media company, making game & movie consoles along with some of the software
that runs on it.

The PC as we know it will evaporate, and in its place will come a variety of
different devices, running a variety of OSs. In fact, 5 years from now most
computer-owners won't even know what OS their machine is running, or at best
if you ask them they'll answer: "Uh, I think it's Firefox."

The leaves an interesting question: Does a networked computer even NEED an
OS? With a nice big, fat pipe it might suffice for it to have the BIOS &
Firmware, and then boot a TCP/IP stack to go get the OS.

-TD