How email encryption should work

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Mar 29 22:23:13 PST 2005

    --
On 29 Mar 2005 at 11:54, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> Are you saying that the keyserver creates the
> public-private key pair for the user? That doesn't
> sound like a good idea.

Not what I said, though that is one possible way of
implementing the proposal.

Another possible way is that the client program hashes
the password in one fashion, known to everyone, and in a
different way, known to everyone, gives the second hash
to the server, which then hashes that in a secret way,
and the client program then constructs the secret key
from both numbers.

Of course, if the user clicks on the menacing "Advanced
custom cryptographic key management" he can construct
the key in some other fashion.

> How do you prevent that a user creates a
> key/certificate for an email address the user doesn't
> own.

Re-read:

"That server then ... emails a certificate asserting
that holder of that key can be reached at that email
address."

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     xvP3RO30rRc2fw0ArT3XUSEsygxK3zrL1Wu7jC7N
     4tJfMev2Cd5X96wjDddtEB7mMPVaXk1ImGBnvo3fC