How email encryption should work

Lars Eilebrecht lars at evildoer.de
Tue Mar 29 01:54:22 PST 2005

According to James:

> I would appreciate some analysis of this proposal, which
> I think summarizes a great deal of discussion that I
> have read.
>
> Here is how email encryption should work:
[...]
>     * In the default case, the mail client, if there are
>     no keys present, logs in to a keyserver using a
>     protocol analogous to SPEKE, using by default the
>     same password as is used to download mail. That
>     server then sends the key for that password and
>     email address, and emails a certificate asserting
>     that holder of that key can be reached at that email
>     address.

Are you saying that the keyserver creates the
public-private key pair for the user?
That doesn't sound like a good idea.

>     Each email address, not each user, has a
>     unique key, which changes only when and if the user
>     changes the password or email address.

How do you prevent that a user creates a key/certificate
for an email address the user doesn't own.

>     * The email client learns the correspondent's public
>     key by receiving signed email.

Unless you use certificates issued by a trusted-third party,
that's not secure.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht