Airport insanity

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Oct 18 21:04:14 PDT 2004

At 12:18 PM 10/18/2004, James A. Donald wrote:
>http://washingtontimes.com/national/20041018-124854-2279r.htm
>: :     Despite gaining their freedom by signing pledges to
>: :     renounce violence, at least seven former prisoners
>: :     of the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have
>: :     returned to terrorism, at times with deadly
>: :     consequences.
>: :
>: :     At least two are believed to have died in fighting
>: :     in Afghanistan, and a third was recaptured during a
>: :     raid of a suspected training camp in Afghanistan,
>: :     Lt. Cmdr. Flex Plexico, a Pentagon spokesman, said
>: :     last week. Others are at large.
>
>: :     Additional former detainees have expressed a desire
>: :     to rejoin the fight, be it against U.N. peacekeepers
>: :     in Afghanistan, Americans in Iraq or Russian
>: :     soldiers in Chechnya.

None of those things sound like terrorism to me,
just basic military violence, though certainly the
American and Russian militaries aren't the only ones
engaging in terrorist activities in South Asia
and some of these ~146 people may be among them.
But most of the Warlord-vs-Warlord fighting in Afghanistan
isn't terrorism, and most of the Iraqi Resistance isn't either,
and I'd have expected that a staunch anti-communist like James
wouldn't mind people shooting at Russian soldiers even though
they're no longer Soviets.

At 11:38 AM 10/18/2004, James A. Donald wrote:
>Tyler Durden
> > Let's just state the obvious: September 11th occurred not
> > because we had a few "crazy Muslim fundamentalists" out there
> > that decided they "hate our freedoms". The struck us because
> > we've been fuckin' over a large swath of the Muslim (not only
> > Arab) world for 100 years or so
>
>And the reason they are murdering Iraqi Christians, Filipinos,
>Ambionese and Timorese is?

While the ones murdering Iraqi Christians may be doing it out of
religious hatred as well as the perception that the
Americans are running a Christian crusade against the Muslim world,
the Indonesian invasions of their neighbors such as East Timor
are just good old nationalist expansion -
the US has been funding the Indonesian military for ~40 years
because they're our Anti-Communist buddies,
and who cares about their human rights records.
You didn't expect that behaviour to stop just because there
were no longer any Commies around, did you?