[IP] One Internet provider's view of FBI's CALEA wiretap push

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 22 14:33:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 11:53:07AM -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> I wonder how quickly one could incinerate a memory card in the field
> with high success rate?   Destroy the data and the passphrases don't
> help.

Smallish lithium battery has enough oomph to heat a NiCr filament (or charge
an electrolyte
capacitor to vaporize a thin filament) to detonate a pellet of lead azide or
similiar. It will blow a hole in glass, or reliably destroy a flash chip,
while being fairly safe when not held in hand (or embedded in a bulky enough
case). This will produce a loud bang, obviously.

Thermite is a good choice to turn your fileserver into lava, but that thing
better be outside, or mounted in chamotte- or asbestos-lined metal closet.
Will produce smoke, and take some time, too.

If your keyring's been securely wiped, rubberhosing the passphrase out of you
to unlock it will give the attacker very little. Assuming the device is
powered on, and easily triggerable, that would be quickest.

If you're just running a P2P which encrypts relay traffick, and a CFS hosting
your
warez and kiddie porn which needs interactive passphrase input to mount any
forensics type people will only wind up with a glob of useless bits.
Assuming the knuckle-draggers will know a CFS from a corrupted FS or a dead
drive, that is.