[IP] One Internet provider's view of FBI's CALEA wiretap push

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 11:57:08 PDT 2004

"As for finance itself, there's a reason that I say that financial
cryptography is the only cryptography that matters. Since the time of
Mesopotamian bullae and grain banks, cryptography has been essential to
finance. You can't do one without the other. The more cryptography you do,
the more finance you can do, the better off everyone is. It's a virtuous
circle."

I don't agree, though I'm tempted to. What have nominally been called
religious and/or race wars throughout history have almost always had at
their core economics, or at least in the western world. It's easy to see how
finance might be the underlying reason for lots of nominally non-crypto
communications.

Your statement is arguably true as t-->infinity.

However, I'd bet there are short-term applications for crypto that really
matter and yet have no real relationship to $$$ (for instance, what if there
was widespread communications and crypto in Nazi Germany...would the
holocaust have happened?)

-TD