Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue May 6 23:59:57 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 08:05  AM, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Kevin S. vanHorn wrote...
>
>>> Likewise with governments. I still need my trash taken out, and for
>>> potholes to be fixed.
>>

>> What makes you think government is needed at all for these?  My trash
>> is taken out by a private company, not by any government.  And
>> privately built and maintained roads have existed for a very long
>> time.
>
> Of course. But you've got to read further into my post to see the
> point.
> I'm thinking that in the future, some aspects of government might be
> competitive with the private sector to obtain public $$$, much like
> the US mail now competes with UPS and FedEx. Like in Stephenson's Snow
> Crash, many functions might be opt-in, including possibly war....
>
> For instance, imagine where budget items are voted on directly, and
> regularly by voters. Would IraqII have occurred? (I bet not.) (My Jazz
> musician brother has suggested that "you should be able to vote any
> elected official directly into jail, no questions asked".)
>
> But my point is that heavy crypto will probably have unforseeable
> effects on the notion of the state, probably not wipe it out.

Banal comments.

Come back when you have something to actually say.

--Tim May
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize
Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of
conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams