Mike Hawash

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Apr 29 17:44:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:12:40PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> He was an illegal combatant because he did not actually enter a country
> we were not actually at war with, whose government was not actually the
> force behind the 9/11 attack.
>
> Using the psychics employed by the CIA, America has deduced that he may
> have been _thinking_ about entering Afghanistan, even though he didn't.

You're forgetting the many anonymous tipsters, including his neighbors
(at least one in the pay of the Feds, I recall) who reported on
Hawash. One alleged he was wearing "eastern" garb and had let his beard
grow after 9-11. Other evidence included one of the "Portland Six" having
Hawash's telephone number written on a business card or something similar.

-Declan