Clubbing in Fortress Amerika (fwd)

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Sun Oct 21 14:45:55 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 01:01:43PM -0500, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
| On 20 Oct 2001, at 22:09, Dr. Evil wrote:
|
| > Carry your passport, which doesn't have a mag strip
| > (last time I checked).
|
| My US passport does have a magstrip.  It's embedded in the front
| cover, and must be read by a special device.  I've seen it scanned
| only once, when leaving Montreal to return home.  (point being, a
| driver's licence reader can't read passport magstrips)

Really?  My fairly new passport has some OCR-128 stuff on the front
cover.  Could that have been what was scanned?

| At least one club in Minneapolis has a prominent sign stating they
| will not accept a US passport as ID unless it's accompanied by a
| "yellow slip", that being the document indicating that the person

Speaking for myself, I find this a fairly good way to distinguish
between businesses that are focused on giving me value for the money
and businesses that are interested in sucking up to the regulators.
When expressed like that, my friends have never had a problem going
somewhere else and avoiding the spots that won't let me in with a
passport or foriegn drivers license.

Adam

					               -Hume