Clubbing in Fortress Amerika (fwd)

Roy M. Silvernail roy at scytale.com
Sun Oct 21 11:01:43 PDT 2001

On 20 Oct 2001, at 22:09, Dr. Evil wrote:

> Carry your passport, which doesn't have a mag strip
> (last time I checked).

My US passport does have a magstrip.  It's embedded in the front
cover, and must be read by a special device.  I've seen it scanned
only once, when leaving Montreal to return home.  (point being, a
driver's licence reader can't read passport magstrips)

At least one club in Minneapolis has a prominent sign stating they
will not accept a US passport as ID unless it's accompanied by a
"yellow slip", that being the document indicating that the person
has applied for a state-issued ID card.  I've never taken the time to
ask the reasoning behind this policy.

> > Do different states use different formats for the data on the
> > magstrip?
>
> Do all states even have magstrips?

It's probably reasonable to assume the formats differ.  I haven't yet
had the time to build up a magstripe reader and check mine, but
Minnesota also puts a high-density barcode on the front of the
license.  I have read that out, and it's name, address, DOB, licence
class, a couple of fields I can't figure out and a final field that says
"20 EXTRA BYTES HERE".  (yes, really)
           Roy M. Silvernail     [ ]     roy at scytale.com
DNRC Minister Plenipotentiary of All Things Confusing, Software Division
    PGP Key 0x1AF39331 :  71D5 2EA2 4C27 D569  D96B BD40 D926 C05E
                 Key available from pubkey at scytale.com
            I charge to process unsolicited commercial email