Who represents the detained? Nobody...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 17 13:59:28 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 01:53 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Naturally the thin legal fiction of having a lawyer technically
> representing you, no matter whether you've been able to speak with him
> or exchange any useful information, makes any brutal prison regime
> an acceptable one. No matter that the Washington Post article, which
> started this thread, did not say that all post-Sep.11 detainees have
> lawyers, and there is reason to believe some do not.

Of the 600+ being held without charges, bail, lawyers, etc., wanna bet
that about 500+ of them will never be charged, never give any useful
information? This was a "panic sweep," a "round up all the suspects"
case, a shotgun blast of arresting anyone with any imagined, guessed, or
coincidence in names connection with the likely attackers (and since
many of those in the 4 planes were believed to be using stolen
passports, even the coincidence in names is even more coincidental).

Anyway, as Declan says, this is being covered in newspaper stories. (No
coverage that I've seen in a hundreds of hours of coverage on CNN,
MSNBC, Fox, ABC, CBS, or NBC. None. Just vague mentions of "several
hundred detainees.")

The issue is not "coddling the terrorists," the issue is the expansion
over decades of police powers to the point where "speedy trial" and
"jury of peers" and "due process" means nothing.

I expect King George would have loved to have these kinds of police
powers: if Patrick Henry is causing troubles in the colonies, but no
grounds for arresting him can be found, just arrest him and hold him
indefinitely as a "material witness." And don't "coddle" him! That'll
take care of the uppity colonists and their quaint talk about liberty.

And King George _really_ would have been thrilled to have the Nazi-like
powers to put a hundred thousand persons of some ethnic background into
concentration camps!

--Tim May
"You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development. You expect them to obey the law because they know
that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged." - -Michael
Shirley