Another precious moment from shrub...

Jamie Lawrence jal at abulafia.com
Mon Oct 8 12:33:22 PDT 2001

>> Reminiscent of Reagan in his second term.
>
>That would be the term where he made the world safe for
>democracy and capitalism.

That would be the term that he became more and more
comparable to Zippy the Pinhead.

So, in your world, Latin America, all of Africa, most of the
Middle east and just about all of the far east are safe for
democracy and capitalism? Never mind the clampdown
on even internal trade we're seeing in this extremely
freedom loving country. Or don't you know anyone who
actually distributes, well, just about anything for trade?

>         James A. Donald

Reagan did some things I approve of, but I do wonder how any
sane person can assert he wasn't well on his way to becoming
a vegetable during the second term.* I only hope that baby-Bush
has advisors good enough to keep him, in the prime of his life, from
making the mistakes his former antecedents made in their
decline.

-j

* Many say that Reagan caused the fall of the Berlin Wall,
the opening of Russia, etc. I am not sure I agree that his
policies caused it - I do think they probably shoved a starving
man off a cliff.

I believe that he and Daddy Bush lost a fine geopolitical
coup when they didn't offer "compassionate colonization" to
the emergent Russian nation state. The IMF and WTO are only
political instruments when the U.S. feels threatened, and because
of that it lost the biggest strategic thrust since Germany attacked
the USSR. The current disastrous counterattack is simply moving
more slowly.