A question of self-defence - Fire extinguishers & self defence

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jul 26 23:13:55 PDT 2001

    --
On 24 Jul 2001, at 0:14, Andrew Woods wrote:
> If you look at the Reuters image of Carlo holding the fire extinguisher,
> he's holding it below head-level. In my opinion, that leaves three options:
> Carlo was going to chuck the extinguisher underhand (and sideways to the
> vehicle, so it would've bounced off) at a low velocity

The rear window had been smashed in when they whacked the cop with the four inch steel pipe, or when they whacked the cop with the two by four timber. so there was no problem with chucking it underhand and sideways.  Plenty of room.  One is naturally inclined to chuck large heary objects in this
fashion, because it is difficult to sling them overhand.  In order to sling it in frontwards, he would have had to chuck it in one handed, and it was too heavy for that.  In order to chuck it, he needed both hands, and in order to chuck it with both hands, he needed to chuck it sideways.

You try chucking a great big fire extinguisher.  Unless you are Arnold, you will chuck it in the same fashion.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     TrErF0pXmwrM9VpPj44NvC5XyHEaFb8NY20PqtIO
     4NZ8BtIOAhWgajGsJGnMuLUi9Wlme6GjBMRTJfIya