A question of self-defence - Fire extinguishers & self defence

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Jul 27 08:26:53 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

>    --
>
>The rear window had been smashed in when they whacked the cop with the four inch steel pipe, or when they whacked the cop with the two by four timber. so there was no problem with chucking it underhand and sideways.  Plenty of room.  One is naturally inclined to chuck large heary objects in this
>fashion, because it is difficult to sling them overhand.  In order to sling it in frontwards, he would have had to chuck it in one handed, and it was too heavy for that.  In order to chuck it, he needed both hands, and in order to chuck it with both hands, he needed to chuck it sideways.
>
>You try chucking a great big fire extinguisher.  Unless you are Arnold, you will chuck it in the same fashion.

I have two brothers.  Early in their college career, one of them got
drunk, and for the sheer hell of it started bowling overhand.  The
manager of the lanes at the student union was disinclined to try
kicking him out personally, so he called my other brother to come
get him out...

This was possible because at that time all three of us had a lot of
experience chucking large heavy objects (and the arms/shoulders to
prove it) because we had been operating a firewood business to pay for
tuition.

If you can get a grip on a large, heavy object which is long (like a
chunk of a log, or a fire extinguisher) You can often throw it further
and harder one-handed and underhand than you can two-handed and
sideways, because the swing gets the far end going a lot faster and
that translates into a lot of power for the throw.  You can also
throw the sucker overhand, but you have to start by lifting it high
in front of you, then swinging it down, turning sideways, bringing
it up behind you, and releasing it over your head - as my brother
discovered he could do with bowling balls.

This guy holding up the fire extinguisher two handed, on the other
hand, looks like he was intent on using it for a battering ram --
to push in someone's face with it or something. He didn't have room
for the big underhand swing, nor the full-circle followed by overhand
release, nor even really for the sideways chuck.

One thing that his arms and posture suggest to me is that it's
actually lighter than you've been guessing -- if it were heavy
I'd expect to see a little more tension.  Perhaps it was already
discharged, thus only about 5-7 pounds?

				Bear