Microsoft Trial Judge Based His Break-Up "Remedy" On Flawed Theory, Not Facts

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Feb 27 20:47:09 PST 2001

At 11:23 PM -0500 2/27/01, David Stultz wrote:
>  > It's worth observing that to Hitler, he made sense. (and no, I am NOT
>>  drawing any sort of conclusion, simply saying the 'I and I' is not the
>>  end all).
>
>Isn't there some sort of rule where at the first mention of "Hitler" or
>"Nazi", it's the end of the thread? ;)

Let's not adopt this banal convention on this list. Much bandwidth is
wasted by people arguing about invocation of Godwin's Law and
inventing their own variants (such as May's Lemma, that more
bandwidth is wasted....).

>>  You're an asshole (not really, keep reading). Ridicule is political
>>  speech and should be protected. Now my stating to another 3rd party that
>>  you're a baby raper and as a consequence you lose your business is a
>>  whole other situation.
>
>Heh.  Maybe ridicule wasn't the right word.  I can take a joke, ridicule
>is ok.  I guess a better word would have been "unjustified slander" (OK,
>that's two).  Satire and ridicule are good things, and are
>protected...this is good.
>
>But now, I am beginning to see what you are saying.  We shouldn't blame
>*speech* for the result of speech.  It's the *result* of said speech that
>should be the grounds of wrongness.  Makes sense to me.

If you are this easily persuaded, and come at "free speech" with such
confusion, you have a lot of reading ahead of you. I envy you,
actually.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns