Microsoft Trial Judge Based His Break-Up "Remedy" On Flawed Theory, Not Facts

Reese reeza at flex.com
Wed Feb 28 21:47:08 PST 2001

At 11:12 PM 2/27/01 -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
 >At 11:23 PM 2/27/2001 -0500, David Stultz wrote:
 > > Isn't there some sort of rule where at the first mention of "Hitler"
 > > or "Nazi", it's the end of the thread?
 >
 >It appears to me that this rule is most commonly invoked by those whose
 >ideology and program has a marked resemblance to Nazism, and derives from
 >Nazi philosophers.

I don't think Godwin would agree.  Godwin's Law is a natural law of Usenet
named after Mike Godwin (godwin at eff.org) concerning Usenet "discussions".
It reads, according to the Jargon File: As a Usenet discussion grows longer,
the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Claims that it is a debate-ender are add-ons.

Reese