The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Tue Aug 28 21:50:09 PDT 2001

Ray Dillinger writes:

> I've composed a dozen responses, considered the subpeona and the trial
> that could result from posting each, and wiped them.  There's your
> "chilling effect on political discussion" if you're interested. This
> one, I'm going to post, so I'm being very careful what I say.

If only there was some technology that would let you post, and say
whatever you wanted... something that cypherpunks might have invented...
something that would provide you a shield so that even unpopular speech
can be presented with little fear of retribution.

If only.  Well, maybe someday.

> The focus of the US intel community is shifting, at the current time,
> to "domestic terrorism".  That makes political speech of the kind
> which has in past years been entirely normal on this list orders
> of magnitude more dangerous to the participants than it was at that
> time.  Taking part in this discussion in a style "traditional" for
> this list could be very dangerous.  Remember, one out of every
> fifty Americans is in jail, and if you think you're in the most
> radical two percent of the population, there are implications,
> aren't there?

According to http://www.msnbc.com/news/602062.asp: "Between 1990 and
2000, the rate of Americans who were imprisoned skyrocketed -- from 1
in every 218 Americans to 1 in every 142. That translated to over 1,500
additional inmates each week. Over 3 percent of the U.S. population was
in the corrections system."  Most of these are black, so if you're white
you're not affected so much.

> Now, I shan't be participating in the rest of this thread, I don't
> think.  Instead, I shall spend my time writing code.  Code which I
> do not intend to release in a form traceable back to me.  I encourage
> those who can, to do the same.

And who is the one posting under his own name?