The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

James B. DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Wed Aug 29 07:50:16 PDT 2001

Gil Hamilton wrote:
> Idiot bimbo writes:
>
>> [GH writes:]
>> > Didn't you already sign on?  Surely through your careful study of the
>> > archives you know that one of the founding documents for this list is
>> > Tim's "Crypto Anarchist Manifesto".  It's practically the charter.
>> > See, for example,
>> > http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Crypto_misc/cryptoanarchist.manifesto
>

>> No.
>>
>> There wasn't even a clickwrap.
>

> My point of course - which through either duplicity or rank ignorance
> seems to have gone right over your head - is that your mere presence
> on this list as a reader and especially poster of messages is sufficient
> to associate you with Tim and his Crypto Anarchist Manifesto brush, and
> with Jim Bell and his Assassination Politics, and with CJ and his "plot"
> to plant bombs and terrorize federal judges and Bill Gates, and with
> Eric Michael Cordian and his defense of BoyNet and NAMBLA, [and lions,
> tigers and bears, oh my!]
>

> "So let me get this straight, Ms. Farr, you hang out and "cyber-chat"
> with these hackers and copyright thieves, and with known anti-government
> extremists, anarchists, and convicted chemical-weapon terrorists, and
> with pedophiles and child pornographers about how to hide their illegal
> acts with this 'encryption technology'.  What did you say your purpose
> in that was again?"
>

> Everyone on this list who isn't already working for the govt can
> easily be tarred with the same brush that painted Jim Bell and CJ.
>
> If you are really too dense to see this, it's time someone spelled it
> out for you.  And if not, then you clearly are not the disingenue you
> profess to be.
>
> - GH

I appreciate her concern. No, I'm not being flip, I genuinely mean that.

I would, however, expect her to understand that it is both unfounded and
counterproductive, given her overweening concern for discretion. I
seriously doubt she's any kind of Federal agent, but she might as well
be a Fedtroll. She's playing into her own fears here, and a lot of you
are contaging. Don't be such wussies. As for her, if she wishes to be
consistent with her professed intent, she should change her tack. From
Irving Stone to Ibsen, maybe. As in, say, "Hedda Gabler".

If you can't see what she's probably being disengenous about, then, boy
are you some kind of nimrod.

jbdigriz