CDR: Re: Rijndael & NTRU

Vin McLellan vin at shore.net
Mon Oct 2 20:36:29 PDT 2000

         Paulo Barreto <paulo.barreto at terra.com.br> quipped:

 >Or it might not have occurred to everyone to prepare just-in-case
releases for
 >each of the finalists and wait for NIST's verdict ;-)

         Yeah, I thought of that too;-) The NTRU folk, however, didn't wait
for today's announcement to place their bet.

         The NTRU reference implementation for embedded systems -- the NERI
toolkit the company has been shipping for a couple of months -- includes
Rijndael code described as "an excellent complement to our core public key
technology."

         Anyone know of any other commercial firms (other than the
respective developers) which made an overt pre-announcement commitment to
one of the AES candidates?

         Apparently the fact that Rujndael was the/a leading AES candidate
was apparent to some prescient souls (not me <sigh>) at least since AES3 in
N.Y. last April. As Bram Cohen <bram at gawth.com> put it:

.> The selection of Rijndael was actually quite predictable - the round 2
.> report made it pretty clear that the only real contenders were Rijndael
.> and Twofish, and hey, that last coin toss is free with 20/20 hindsight :)

         Suerte,
               _Vin