CDR: Re: Anonymous Remailers

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Oct 2 22:39:55 PDT 2000

At 10:59 PM -0400 10/2/00, Steve Furlong wrote:
>Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up an anonymous remailer? I
>found a FAQ from a "Cypherpunks Home Page" mirror, but that's from
>_1993_! I assume there's more recent work out there somewhere, but I
>didn't see anything on Google or Packetstorm, nor mentioned in Phrack or
>some other zines.

Perhaps Google is blocking you, as I was able to find more recent
pages, including:

http://www.obscura.com/~loki/remailer/mixmaster-faq.html

http://anon.efga.org/~rlist/

http://www.skuz.net/potatoware/reli/OperMan.htm

(This last one is a detailed page on setting up a client.)

I agree that there seem to be fewer, proportionately, articles than
in the heyday of remailers, circa 1994-5. Why there are not more "How
to Set Up a Remailer" current FAQs and pages is unclear.

Making remailers easy to set up, especially in this era of Linux and
DSL/cable modems, would seem to be a big win.

>I'd like a HOWTO, suggesting software to use and how to set it up. I'm
>pretty clueless as to what would be needed, but I have a FreeBSD box and
>a DSL line with no usage restrictions. If need be I can set up another
>box, dedicated to this purpose. I should have the means once I get
>whapped with a cluestick.
>
>I'd also like discussions of real-world problems that people have found.
>What kind of things cause you to think about shutting down your
>remailer? Technical abuse, legal difficulties, or what?

As Declan said, find the Remailer Operators list.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.