CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Nov 6 21:00:58 PST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:

>At 02:13 AM 11/6/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>> I just can't think of anything
>>the law requires me to have in my house. As it should be.
>
>* running water
>* N toilets per hectare
>* electricity
>* walls, stairs, floors made to certain state minima (standards)
>* N metres of terra between A and B

Um.  Not true.  Many of my relatives do without the first three
owing to religious proscription.  Since they tend to build their
own homes in big house-raising parties, (ie, would rather pay for
employing their own community for a day plus have singing, a
banquet, and horseshoe pitching instead of paying the same money
to "some outlander", aka a contractor) the standards to which
contractors are held in building have never become an issue.

Then again, as far as I know no Amish-built house has ever fallen
down or had the roof blow off in a storm, and the locals hold them
in high regard as solid structures (this is Kansas, where the wind
occasionally dismantles other buildings).  I don't think a
structural inspection would likely be a problem....

				Bear